Shields in Minecraft
Shields are crafted from Wood Planks and an Iron Ingot:
Your shield can be decorated by combining it with a Banner. This will consume the Banner.
Using a shield will help to protect you against any attack coming from in front of you.
You can hold a shield in either hand. To use it, right click. When using a shield:
- damage from melee (or hand-to-hand) attacks will be reduced by 66%
- you will take no damage from projectiles such as arrows
- you will be protected from some other attacks suck as flame or punch effects on arrows
- your movement will be slowed as if you were sneaking
Be aware that if you hold a shield in your Main Hand, the right mouse button will always make you use the shield. If the shield is in your Off Hand, (the inventory slot with a shield on it!) then it depends on what you have in your Main Hand.
- You CAN use a shield with a sword or axe in your Main Hand.
- You CAN’T use a shield with a bow, or food, or a potion in your Main Hand.
- You MIGHT be able to use a shield with a torch or placeable block in your main hand, but only if you are not able to place that item with a right click.
Damage to shields
Your shield will be damaged whenever it blocks an attack, and eventually need repair.
When you are attacked by a player using an Axe, there is a chance that your shield will be disabled for 5 seconds.